Digital Marketing For Beginners
Digital marketing in its simplest form is defined as a marketing service or a product using an electronic device like a mobile phone, a laptop or a desktop, television or even a radio. This implies that digital marketing has been around for almost a century when the radio was first invented. However, the term digital marketing was coined only more recently with the advent of mobile phones and other electronic devices. The term digital is used a bit more loosely cover all electronic devices.
Digital marketing is of two types; online marketing and offline marketing. One can consider online marketing as somehow connected with internet and offline is where no internet connectivity is involved. Let us look into each one separately
Offline marketing Offline marketing can be categorized into four different kinds
- Phone marketing: If you have ever used a landline or a mobile phone, chances are you have received a marketing call from someone who is trying to sell you insurance or a car. As the phone is a digital device, phone marketing can be considered as part of digital marketing.
- Television marketing: All of us have seen advertisements on television. These are all part of digital marketing. Prior to the invention of color TV, there was the black and white version of TV. However, this did not stop people from marketing their products or services on it
- Radio marketing: Using radio as a means for marketing has been around for about a century or so. Although the number of people listening to radio might have dipped due to the onset of Television and later internet, it is still used widely enough by people driving and hence is not likely to be sunset any time soon.
- Enhanced Offline Marketing: This is similar to non-digital marketing except that the consumer experience is enhanced by using an electronic device. For e.g. electronic billboards or display terminals in stores and buildings. This is still a big business and not likely to sunset any time soon.
Online marketing: This can be categorized as follows
- Email marketing: This is least expensive of all online marketing where bulk emails are sent typically to thousands of email addresses at the same time.
- Affiliate marketing: This type of marketing involves rewarding affiliates for bringing in customers.
- Content marketing: Content marketing involves creating content like videos and blogs, publishing and distributing this content to improve sales or generate awareness about brands
- Social Media Marketing (SMM): Use of social media platforms like Facebook etc. is done in SMM.
- Pay-per-click advertising (PPC): A lot of websites publish ads from other companies and get paid each time an ad is clicked. This is PPC advertising.
- Search engine optimization (SEO): SEO is important if you own a website and need it to show up in searches done by people on Google and other search engines. This is done by ranking your website for searches
- Search engine marketing (SEM): Increasing the visibility of websites in search engine results pages, through paid advertising, is SEM.
In general, each of the above mention categories of both online and offline marketing is big subjects in themselves. However, the above-mentioned introduction can help a beginner to start in the area of digital marketing.